Caregiver’s Affidavit

guardianship, Caregivers

A Caregiver’s Affidavit will allow you to 1) enroll the child in school and 2) if you are a relative, consent to medical care on behalf of the child. If you are not a relative, you may consent to school-related medical care only and it is recommended that you obtain legal guardianship.

**Under California law, a parent may give you authority to consent to medical treatment for a child in your care. The parent must sign the 3rd Party Consent to Authorize Medical Treatment. A notarized letter from the parent can serve as third party consent. For non-relative caregivers, a 3rd party consent provides better protection than a caregiver’s affidavit regarding medical care.

The Alliance for Children’s Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth.


Sign up to join the Alliance and stay connected to the work we’re doing in response to the needs of children, young adults, and families impacted by the child welfare system.