The Alliance offers internship, externship, and post-bar opportunities throughout the year for undergraduate, graduate, and law school students.
“The internship program provided me with an invaluable opportunity. I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have been surrounded by the brilliant attorneys, staff, and fellow interns at the Alliance who provided me with a memorable and empowering summer internship experience."
– Robert Ponce JD Candidate, USD School of Law
Explore Student Opportunities:
The Alliance offers valuable internship opportunities in our Client Intake Department to support with answering incoming calls from families, caregivers, and youth seeking assistance. Client Intake Interns interact with potential clients and collaborate with Alliance staff while learning about the Los Angeles County dependency system.
Law students have the opportunity to support the work of one of our departments during the summer months through a 40 hour/week, 10-week legal internship in our Adoption, Benefits, Education, Guardianship, Policy, Transition Age Youth Services, or Healthcare Program.
Students gain valuable experience working under the direction of Alliance for Children’s Rights staff attorneys on the following types of tasks:
- Conducting client intake interviews
- Analyzing and assessing client needs
- Working with attorneys to determine legal assistance needed
- Conducting legal research and preparing legal documents
- Attending court proceedings
- Developing resource and educational materials for clients
- Must be a current law student.
- Desire to work with foster youth and their caregivers.
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and with attention to detail.
- Ability to work full time (Monday-Friday, 9am-5:30pm) in our Los Angeles office for 10 weeks. All internships are unpaid.
- Internships are competitive. Split schedules will not be considered.
- Spanish fluency preferred for all programs, but required for Adoption and Guardianship programs.
Internships typically begin three times a year—in September, January, or May.
To apply for an internship, please submit a cover letter, resume, and copy of your most recent transcript via the contact form below.
- Cover letter must confirm full-time availability, including the first available start date.
- Cover letter should indicate any specific program interests, i.e., Adoptions, Guardianship, Public Benefits, Education, Policy, Healthcare and/or Transitioning Youth (feel free to indicate more than one program of interest).
- All positions are unpaid.
- No calls please.
Post-Bar Fellowships & Volunteer Clerkships
We welcome applications from recent law school graduates seeking a post-bar fellowship or bridge to practice. Fellows work directly with staff attorneys to support our Guardianship, Public Benefits, or Education programs. If you are interested in the Alliance hosting you through a post-graduate program, contact us below.
In collaboration with law schools, the Alliance offers a variety of unique externship opportunities throughout the year. For more information on these experiences, contact us below.