Human Resources Director
The Alliance for Children’s Rights has retained AMF to lead the search for our next human resources leader. Please see below for directions on how to apply directly to AMF. We look forward to hearing from you.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is seeking a mission-driven, dedicated, and experienced Human Resources Director to join our newly created Human Resources Department. The Human Resources Director will provide comprehensive oversight, planning, and management while pursuing the organization’s core values and strategic commitment to attract, retain, advance, and support a broadly diverse workforce of the highest level of excellence that thrives in a respectful, inclusive, and equitable workplace culture.
We value and welcome your experiences, ideas, and identity. The ideal candidate will have 5+ years prior work experience in Human Resources or recruitment, with a thorough understanding of federal, state, and local employment-related laws and regulations, and Human Resources policies and procedures with a background in diversity, equity, and inclusion (DE&I). The successful applicant will be a highly motivated individual who will maintain and enhance the organization’s human resources by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices, including employee orientations, staff development, benefits administration, compensation, rewards, conflict resolution, and developing and refining systems and training. This full-time exempt position reports directly to the CFO/COO and provides organization-wide support.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is a nonprofit organization that provides free holistic legal services and advocacy to youth and families impacted by child welfare and juvenile justice systems in Los Angeles County, and works to enact policy changes statewide. Our lawyers, advocates, and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, work to ensure that those we serve have the tools to overcome barriers to stability and success, and have access to the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children.
WHAT YOUR IMPACT WILL BE:
Recruitment & Talent Acquisition
- Develop and manage recruitment efforts, identifying and implementing effective recruitment avenues and processes to attract top talent to best fulfill our mission and DE&I goals
- Manage DE&I initiatives on an organization-wide scale
- Collaborate with managers in preparation of job descriptions to ensure responsibilities, compliance, outreach, and messaging aligns with the mission of the organization
- Conduct salary and employment market research, including researching compensation studies, to define benchmarks and ensure pay ranges align with federal, state, and local requirements as well as the nonprofit sector
- Establish onboarding plans and conduct orientation programs to educate new staff members on internal procedures and policies
- In collaboration with the CFO/COO, evaluate and prepare benefits programs including compensation, annual renewals, and broker/carrier interfaces; health, dental, vision, and life insurance, 403(b) plan, and supplemental benefits
- Provide assistance and support to employees with benefits claims and concerns
- Guide staff members navigating leave procedures
- Manage and process workers’ compensation claims
- Process Employment Development Department (EDD) paperwork; garnishments, employment verifications, disability, and unemployment claims
- Manage COBRA administration along with a third-party administrator, new hire notices and terminations
- Process qualifying events; enrollments, changes, and terminations of benefits through ADP Workforce Now
- Prepare required annual reports and notices (including ACA, 403b, Medical, CA State Bar)
Compliance & Conflict Resolution
- Develop policies, processes, and procedures for the department and organization
- Work with executive team and managers to ensure consistent application of policies and procedures
- Ensure legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable Human Resources federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations requirements (EEO, ADA, FMLA, OSHA, etc.)
- Provide Human Resources counsel on employment issues, and serve as the liaison between managers and staff as necessary
- Assess management and other human resources training needs and develop and coordinate training programs with staff
- Ensure regulatory compliance of human resources documents, such as organizational charts, corrective action forms, employee handbook, benefits, performance evaluations, and other personnel documents
- Ensure that all time-sensitive personnel documents, such as W4 and I-9 documents, are current
- Oversee updates and maintenance of the ADP Workforce Now staff member dashboard
- Conduct and/or attend meetings relating to investigations, complaints, and concerns relating to performance, misconduct, conflict, or workplace accommodations
- Lead employee retention initiatives
- Develop, recommend, and oversee advancement of employee job satisfaction and solutions to employee relations issues
- Conduct periodic employee surveys and analyze metrics to identify and evaluate needs and changes for the organization
- Develop, implement, and evaluate employee retention programs; stay interviews and exit interviews
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL POSSESS:
- Degree in Human Resources, Nonprofit or Business Administration, or related field required
- 5+ years of experience working in Human Resources preferred
- Human Resources certification a plus (PHR, PHRca, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP)
- Demonstrated Diversity Equity & Inclusion experience, with a focus on recruitment of underrepresented talent
- In-depth knowledge of employment law and Human Resources best practices, including Human Resources systems and electronic databases
- Proven working experience as Human Resources Director or other Human Resources executive
- Leadership skills with the ability to architect strategy
- Excellent active listening, communication, presentation, and negotiation skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite or related software; familiarity with ADP Workforce Now a plus
This job description is of a general nature is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of the position.
Recruitment & Talent Acquisition
The Alliance is committed to prioritizing and safeguarding the health and wellbeing of our employees, their families, our clients, and members of our community against the COVID-19 coronavirus above all else. In response to COVID-19 and the increased transmissibility with recent variants, and to support a safe environment for everyone, all new Alliance employees must provide original documentation confirming they are fully vaccinated at the time of hire.
Normally, this position is located at our Los Angeles office. However, due to COVID-19, employees are temporarily working remotely from home. Employees may be asked to return to work at the office at the employer’s discretion.
Salary Range: $105,000 – $120,000. D.O.E. Benefits include generous vacation and paid holidays, comprehensive health plans covering 100% of the employee cost of medical, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts for childcare and health expenses, generous retirement savings plan with organization contributions to your 403(b) after one year of employment, and discounts on fitness/gym memberships, and other forms of entertainment such as theme parks, etc.
- Start Date: Approximately June 1, 2022
- Deadline for applications: April 30, 2022
- How to apply: Please respond via email to email@example.com. Indicate in the subject line, “HR Director for ACR” and include the following confidential information:
- Resume with LinkedIn profile link
- Cover letter with a summary of your interests in the role, including:
- How the opportunity with ACR’s mission resonates with you
- Relevant qualifications and compensation requirements. Include 2-3 brief scenarios describing your previous experience and how it maps to this role
- References and/or Letters of Recommendation
- Any other materials you feel would be helpful for our evaluation
We thank you for your interest!
The Alliance for Children’s Rights is committed to building and supporting a culturally diverse and inclusive environment that values all staff members’ backgrounds and perspectives in our work. We strongly encourage individuals from all traditionally underrepresented communities to apply. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. We are an Equal Employment Opportunity employer, and prohibit discrimination against employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, veteran status, or any other unlawful basis.