Benefits Program Legal Assistant
The Alliance is seeking a legal assistant to support its Benefits Program, which provides legal advocacy to help children in out-of-home care obtain the appropriate type and level of monetary benefits and supportive services. The legal assistant will support the program staff attorneys, assist in supervising volunteers, and handle a case load. The applicant must have the ability to work independently and handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, as well as be willing to become part of a cohesive team of legal advocates working on behalf of vulnerable children throughout Los Angeles County. The person in this position reports to the Benefits Program Director.
ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Alliance for Children’s Rights protects the rights of impoverished, abused and neglected children and youth. Our lawyers, advocates and social workers, together with hundreds of pro bono attorneys and community volunteers, ensure that children who are at-risk or in foster care have safe, stable homes and can access the education, healthcare, and financial supports that they need. We also help transition-age youth overcome barriers to their stability and success, and we work statewide to improve child welfare practices and policies in order to remove the many obstacles that our clients face. Since 1992, we have helped over 150,000 children.
Charity Navigator has awarded the Alliance its highest 4-star rating for the past nine years in a row. This puts the Alliance in the top 2% of charities in the U.S. rated by Charity Navigator. The 4-star rating reflects the Alliance’s sound fiscal management and commitment to accountability and transparency.
The Alliance is well known in the child welfare community for its knowledge, expertise, and accomplishments. Alliance staff members and our partnering pro bono attorneys are advocates for our most vulnerable children and their caregivers. Being the voice of young people who often have no voice, and otherwise could be forgotten, is incredibly rewarding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct client intake and screening.
- Open, close, and maintain case files.
- Gather documents from various sources to support our cases.
- Handle individual case load by working to resolve benefits disputes informally with the County.
- File applications for state hearings for cases that cannot be resolved informally.
- Coordinate communication with other programs at the Alliance to facilitate a holistic approach to serving clients.
- Train and support law student interns and community volunteers.
- Facilitate communication between clients, program staff, pro bono attorneys, County representatives and service providers.
- Develop bilingual project materials.
- Participate in community outreach and trainings.
- Administrative duties, including copying, data entry and filing.
- Provide program staff support and other agency support as needed.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a desire to help people.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Must be bilingual (Spanish/English).
- College graduate, Paralegal Certification, or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with foster care is helpful but not mandatory.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights believes that all persons are entitled to equal employment opportunities and does not discriminate against its employees or applicants because of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, or marital status. The above statements are of a general nature and are intended to describe level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties of the position.
The Alliance for Children’s Rights offers a competitive salary and a generous benefits package.
TO APPLY: To be considered, please email your cover letter and resume to Adam Cherensky at the Alliance for Children’s Rights: firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses will be sent only to individuals meeting the outlined qualifications of the position.